Home Insurance

What kinds of Home Insurance are there?

There is Buildings Insurance and Contents Insurance and each has its own benefits.

What is Buildings Insurance?

Buildings insurance covers damage to the actual structure of your home, such as the roof, walls, floors, ceilings and foundations. For example, if your house is destroyed or rendered uninhabitable, you can claim the cost to rebuild or carry out the necessary repairs from this kind of insurance.

Do I need Buildings Insurance?

You should always ensure that there is proper insurance in place from the moment you become responsible for the property, even if this is before moving in. We can help you coincide your insurance with your mortgage.

Protect your home should the unexpected happen

I live in a flat, do I still need Buildings Insurance?

If you own an apartment or flat that is part of a bigger building, you should ensure the owners of the freehold have adequate Buildings Insurance in place and that this covers your property. After all, damage to the infrastructure of the building may have an impact on your property or could even destroy it. If you are not satisfied, you can always take out extra cover. If, on the other hand, you rent a property, it is normally the responsibility of the owners of the freehold or their managing agents to arrange Buildings Insurance cover.

What is Contents Insurance?

Contents insurance covers the ‘material possessions’ in your home, for example, a stereo or iPad, clothes, curtains, carpets and furniture (put simply, Contents insurance covers anything that can be moved while Buildings Cover insures anything that can’t).

In most policies, the cover extends to areas outside the main property, such as a greenhouse, conservatory or garage. However, more expensive items, usually of £1,000 plus — an expensive computer or jewelry, for example — may have to be insured separately as the majority of policies have limits on payouts.

What should I think about when choosing a policy?

Compare the cover offered by various policies and see what is most suitable for your needs. Importantly, look for any restrictions within the policy, for instance on flood cover or accidental damage. Also, check for discounts on higher excesses and annual premium payment.

Protect your worldly possessions in and out of the home

Can I change my policy after I have taken it out?

You can elect to change your buildings & contents insurance policy as often as you like, although you should make sure that your property remains properly insured during the changeover period from one insurer to another. Policies are normally setup for a one year term and automatically renewed by the insurer unless you instruct them otherwise.

How much do you charge for providing Home Insurance?

We do not usually charge a fee for advice and arranging an insurance product. We will receive a commission from the insurer and this is reflected in the premium amount you pay them. All commissions would be disclosed to you before agreeing to proceed.

Can I get this type of cover online? Use a comparison website?

Have a look, then contact us with your quotation to see how competitive we are.

Many price comparison sites only offer ‘standard’ insurance policies and won’t necessarily take your personal circumstances and needs into account. Equally, because comparison sites don’t provide one to one advice, you could be left with unanswered questions or worse still, be unaware that you are underinsured or unable to make a claim because of small print or legal complexities you weren’t aware of during the application process.

Does your existing Home Insurance meet your current objectives?

How can Plato help?

We are insurance intermediaries offering products from a range of insurers based on a fair and personal analysis of the market for Buildings & Contents, Accident, Sickness & Unemployment, and Private Medical Insurance.

By arranging your home insurance through Plato, you can ensure that you speak directly to an expert who can guide you through the process and ensure that the policy you are being recommended is right for you and your individual circumstances.

Plato only recommend the UK’s leading Insurance providers based on great customer service, strong track history for claims payouts and competitive premiums.

A word from our clients...

Contact us

  • Call us 020 3773 1210
  • Contact us info@platofs.com
  • Meet us 1 Beauchamp Court, 10 Victors Way, Barnet, EN5 5TZ
  • Office hours Mon-Fri 8am-6pm

We will use your name, email address and contact number (‘personal information’) to contact you about the services you have requested or respond to an enquiry you have submitted, which will require us to share your personal information with our advisers and associated companies where you give prior consent. For further information on how your information is used, including disclosure to third parties, how we maintain security of your information and your rights in relation to the information we hold about you, please see our Privacy Policy.

Email communications are not secure and for this reason Plato Financial Services Ltd cannot guarantee the security of the email, its contents or that it remains virus free once sent.